The application period for the Arlington Regional Master Naturalists’ Fall 2018 Volunteer Training Course is now OPEN. Classes will be held September 4 through December 18, 2018 on Tuesdays from 7:00 pm to 10:00 pm at Long Branch Nature Center in Arlington. (There will no class on Tuesday, November 20.) Four Saturday field trips (dates will be posted on website once finalized) are generally scheduled from 9 am to 3 pm. Applications are due Wednesday, August 1, 2018.
ARMN will hold two open house events for prospective trainees on Sunday, July 29, 2018 from 3:30 pm to 4:30 pm at Long Branch Nature Center and Tuesday, July 31, from 7:00 pm to 8:00 pm at Long Branch Nature Center Amphitheater. Applicants for the Fall 2018 Basic Training Class are encouraged to attend one of the open houses.
Training is typically held in the Spring and the Fall. Click the Contact Us link to request notification about upcoming training.
Agreeing to take the Basic Training Course to become a Master Naturalist requires a high level of commitment, both to complete the training, and most importantly, to perform volunteer service. We are an all-volunteer-run organization and expect that anyone applying to take the training will have the same level of commitment to volunteer service that we have dedicated to developing the program.
- This training program is the basis for meaningful and rewarding volunteer service in support of our natural resources.
- By applying for and accepting entry into a training class, a trainee commits to complete a minimum of 40 hours of volunteer service and 8 hours of continued education each year to become and remain certified as a Virginia Master Naturalist.
- ARMN accepts volunteers from anywhere in Virginia, including neighboring states and the District of Columbia; however, the annually-required 40 volunteer service hours must be done in Virginia in order to count towards the VMN program.
Application Form and Submission Process:
- Fill in both the Application and ARMN Application Supplement as completely as possible. Then print them.
- Mail the completed Application and Application Supplement with a check for $175 payable to “Arlington Regional Master Naturalists” to:
Arlington Regional Master Naturalists
c/o Long Branch Nature Center
625 S. Carlin Springs Road
Arlington, VA 22204
- Checks will not be cashed unless an applicant is accepted into the course; uncashed checks will be returned.
Virginia Cooperative Extension programs and employment are open to all, regardless of age, color, disability, gender, gender identity, gender expression, national origin, political affiliation, race, religion, sexual orientation, genetic information, veteran status, or any other basis protected by law. An equal opportunity/affirmative action employer. Issued in furtherance of Cooperative Extension work, Virginia Polytechnic Institute and State University, Virginia State University, and the U.S. Department of Agriculture cooperating. Edwin J. Jones, Director, Virginia Cooperative Extension, Virginia Tech, Blacksburg; M. Ray McKinnie, Administrator, 1890 Extension Program, Virginia State University, Petersburg.
Please Contact Us if you have questions.