Text and photos by Kasha Helget
Think there are no opportunities to purchase native plants this fall? Think again!! Below are locations where you can indeed buy the perfect plants to benefit local wildlife and spruce up your yard, too.
Autumn is the best time to install new perennials, trees, and shrubs with warmer soils but cooler air temperatures, which reduces transplant shock. Planting now should give plants plenty of time to become established before winter. Then, in the spring they will provide benefits to the critters that depend on them AND add wonderful beauty to your garden. Below are places to purchase native plants in safety for both buyers and sellers. So, take advantage of these opportunities and bring home a few—or several—native plants to brighten your yard, patio, balcony, or deck. The native wildlife will appreciate it.
Why Choose Native Plants?
Because they’re “from here,” natives are adapted to our climate and soil conditions. They are often the most healthful—or only—source of nectar, pollen, seeds, and leaves for local butterflies, insects, birds, and other animals. They also:
- require little or no fertilizers and few if any pesticides,
- need less water than lawns, and help prevent erosion,
- help reduce air pollution,
- provide shelter and food for wildlife,
- promote biodiversity and stewardship of our natural heritage, and
- are beautiful and increase landscape values!
How to Choose the Right Natives for Your Yard or Pots
It’s important to install the right plants for your conditions (wet, dry, shade, sun, slope, bog, soil type, etc.). One of the best sources to answer these questions is the Plant Nova Natives website, with easy-to-follow tips, lots of photos, and additional links to learn what will work best in your situation(s).
Where You Can Buy Natives This Fall
Nature by Design
- Seven days a week
- 7am to 6pm
- 300 Calvert Avenue, Alexandria, VA 22301
- Click HERE for details on availability, appointments, and pickup.
VNPS Wednesday Native Plant Sales
- Each Wednesday till 10/7/2020
- 10am to 1pm
- Green Spring Gardens
- 4603 Green Spring Road, Alexandria VA
- The VNPS native plant sale takes place behind the Horticulture Center
- For details, click HERE
Earth Sangha Wild Plant Nursery Self-Service Saturdays
- Five Saturdays from 9/5/2020 till 11-14-2020
- 6100 Cloud Dr., Franconia Park, Springfield VA
- Sign up for a 1-hour time slot to peruse the nursery at your leisure (limited to 10 customers per hour)
- Click HERE for details and to sign up for a time slot.
Town of Vienna Fall Native Plant Sale
- 8am to 12:30pm
- 120 Cherry Street, SE, Vienna VA.
- Click HERE for details.
Glencarlyn Library Community Garden AutumnFest
- 10am to 3pm
- Glencarlyn Public Library
- 300 S. Kensington St., Arlington, VA
- View available plants at: http://www.hillhousenativeplants.com/. Preorder by sending an email by Wednesday, September 9 to: firstname.lastname@example.org. Pick up on September 13 between 1 and 3pm. in the library parking lot.
- For details, click HERE.
Arlington Native Plant Sale